PRE SALES SOLUTIONS ENGINEER
BASIC PURPOSE: The Dowley Solutions Engineer position is responsible for effectively utilizing his or her customer focus, technical, and Solutions Selling skills to continuously increase revenue and profitability by providing innovative, unique and complex solutions that meet or exceed customers’ performance requirements. The Solutions Engineer is the primary technical resource for the Dowley Strategic Account Executive team. The Solutions Engineer is responsible for actively driving and managing the technology evaluation stage of the sales process, working in partnership with the sales executive as the key technical advisor and product advocate for our solutions. The Solutions Engineer must be able to articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users. As part of the strategic sales process, the SE will work alongside the sales team with the aim of securing new business for Dowley. The SE will be involved throughout the sales process and will provide in-depth technical knowledge in prospective client meetings. The Solutions Engineer is responsible for meeting directly with customers, presentations, demonstrations, reviewing specifications, researching, developing detailed cost-basis estimations, technical proposals and assisting with negotiations required to close the sale. The Solutions Engineer is also responsible for significant post-award activities necessary for the transition of awarded opportunities from sales to operations. The Solutions Engineer ultimately owns the solution design from concept through commissioning including planning, criteria development, capacity planning, and infrastructure analysis for highly-complex data-centric critical infrastructure security solutions.
- Primarily responsible for the comprehensive design of network and software integration solutions focused on security, including Surveillance, Information Security, Access Control, Secure Data Transport Networks.
- Leverages detailed technical knowledge of solutions and vertical market needs to assist Strategic Account Team in driving revenue growth. Assist in strategizing and closing sales.
- Partners with the Strategic Account Team during the Prospect and Discovery Phase by providing technical capabilities presentations, attending technical discovery meetings, and developing detailed technical solutions through the creation of complex Statement of Work, Engineering Design Concepts, Bill of Materials, labor estimates, and packaging of the overall cost-basis of the proposed solution.
- As part of post-award activities, creates detailed project notes and implementation guidelines for Project Management Team.
- Articulate Dowley’s technical capabilities and differentiated offerings to audiences ranging from CxOs to engineers in both enterprise and Public Sector spaces.
- Acts as Dowley’s intellectual property technology expert during the Discovery and works in conjunction with the sales team as their key technical advisor and product advocate throughout the entire sales cycle.
- In formal RFP Bidding environments, acts as point person for all technical portions of the bid package, analyzes specifications, drawings and other documents to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates including bid and design-build projects.
- Effectively applies Dowley’s methodology and enforces our installation standards through collaboration with the Project Managers and Installation Crews.
- Maintains a solid understanding of Dowley’s Line Card, along with the sensitive nature of some Line Card participants in terms of “channel management discipline” and “certified vendor purity”.
- Confers with engineers, customers, suppliers, and contractors to formulate estimates, resolve issues and make adjustments to cost estimates to facilitate the completion of the job effectively and efficiently.
- Develops and documents solution design process for standard and non-standard jobs.
- Assist sales with competitive analyses, trade shows, case studies, creating demonstrations, and white papers.
- Minimizes Dowley’s exposure to risk.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending education workshops and reviewing technical publications.
- Initiates corrective action when job costs are out of line with projected targets.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, EDUCATION, & CERTIFICATION
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical field, or minimum of 12 years’ experience in the Network Integration industry, or Electronic Security industry, Software and IT Services industries in lieu of degree
- Self-motivated with a proven track record in consultative sales approach and solution building to enterprise and Public Sector markets
- Must possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to emails, RFP/RFI/RFQ and reports
- Organized and analytical, in partnership with sales able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Ability to architect and design complex data network solutions with heavy emphasis on critical security components such as PSIM, VMS and surveillance platforms.
- Must possess experience managing technical experts from vendors, subcontractors and customer groups to develop comprehensive solution sets and proposals incorporating capabilities outside Dowley’s core competencies
- Strong knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Presentation, Visio and CAD Software
- Ability to compile accurate and comprehensive proposals, including Bill of Materials, Statement of Requirements, Engineering Design Concept and preliminary project milestone plan and labor hours
- Knowledge and experience with the following systems: Cisco, VMS, PSIM, Nice Systems, Fike, AMAG, TCP-IP, Mesh Solutions (802.x), PTP, PMP, Fiber transmission networks
- Proven expertise of reading blueprints and conducting take-offs on architectural and electrical plans as well as network diagrams
- Understanding of job financial reports and the ability to contain costs in handling large projects and networking principles
- Detail oriented and superior organizational skills
- Excellent follow through and time management skills
- Results driven individual, high energy and self-starter
- Security Vendor Certifications (VMS, PSIM, Situational Platforms)
- CISSP or equivalent Information Security certification
- CompTia A+, Network + or Security +
- IT Vendor Certifications (Cisco CCDA / CCDP, Microsoft MCP / MCSE)